2.07.2006

Rejection

Rejection is a hard thing to face. Whether it be from an employer, a friend or a lover, it is always hard. It's the negation of hope and longing. The moment when everything you've tied up into a person or thing is cruelly crushed into fine powder before your once happy heart... or so I've heard. I myself have never faced "rejection" so I'm paraphrasing what a bunch of losers once told me it felt like.
Tonight however I did participate in the "Rejection Show". Jon Friedman hosts a forum where people who work in the arts and have had their projects "rejected", as the name suggests, share with the audience. Why was I there? Certainly not because of anything I did.
Some of you may recall that during the summer I teamed up with Sara Schaefer (now Genoa) to do a little short she wrote. A little short called "The Super" f*cking "Awesome 10 Show" (The word f*cking was added for emphasis and did not appear in the actual title sequence). This short was a gem and Sara and I poured a lot of love and effort into it. We put so much effort and love in to it that I thought the hearts of a million children might implode, it didn't happen, but I thought it might. After nearly two months of using every bit of free time I had available to create this masterpiece it was rejected by the Channel102 committee. Bullsh*t but there you have it. Now clearly Sara was the one rejected, because my work is indisputably brilliant, but I couldn't help but feel... letdown? I don't know, it felt like the time I really wanted a Prada wallet for my 16th birthday and instead I got cuff links that once belonged to Hitler. I guess it's what the losers said rejection feels like. From the point it was shot down to this evening it had rarely seen the light of day. It was only whispered about at comedy shows and rest stop glory holes. Then Jon put it up there for the sold out audience and they liked it... they really really liked it. So to all of you that didn't come out to see it, and I'm mostly pointing my finger (middle) towards Minnesota, eat it. I may not know the sting of rejection, but I sure as sh*t know what it feels like to have such a lousy group of friends.

p.s.
In all seriousness it was nice to get it screened. I actually was happy about that. I did not receive Hitler's cuff links for my 16th birthday. I got a tooth my Uncle Walter swore was Hitler's but was more likely Uncle Walter's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow